Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Three-Step Adobo

This dish is probably the most appreciated by us Filipinos. The 3-step adobo is a way to use 1 base recipe to create 3 different meals!

I really hate it when I get left-overs. But with this simple recipe, that will all change.

The idea of the 3-step adobo is to start by cooking your favorite adobo, once you have left-overs, just redo the adobo and you end up with binagoongan. More left-overs? Work up a sizzling wok, a few cups of cooked rice, and voila! Binagoongan Fried Rice!

Try out the recipe and feel free to alter the amount of the seasoning (I like my adobo salty... hehe).

INGREDIENTS:

STEP 1 - Adobo
1 kg Pork Kasim, cut into 1.5 inch cubes
1 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup of vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of black, finely ground pepper
6 cloves of garlic (minced, I'd prefer more garlic, but again, different woks for different folks...)
4 tablespoons of oil (depends on what type you wish to use)
2 cups of cold water

Mix all the ingredients except the oil and water. Allow the mixture to boil. Add the oil. Add 1 cup of cold water. Keep on adding the other cup of water after each time you get the mixture reduced to minimal liquid (level of liquid is almost 1/2 of the height of the meat, this allows the meat to soften up).

STEP 2 - BINAGOONGAN
Your adobo (still 1 kilo pork, let's say this is not a batch of left-overs)...
3 tablespoons of (white) sugar (neutralizes the saltiness of the bagoong)
1 cup of bagoong (I would suggest you use the Barrio Fiesta(TM) ones, you can even choose between the spicy version, the sweet, or the regular ones)
I would add a few more cloves of garlic, but it all depends on you.

It's as simple as saute the garlic until golden brown, then mix in everything else.

STEP 3 - FRIED RICE
Your binagoongan...
A reasonable amount of cooked rice...
Garlic bits, fried (I really love the garlic... hehehe)
Green Mango (grated or sliced into thin strips)

You got it... mix the bagoong and the rice in a pan, serve with garlic bit toppings and garnish with a few slices of green mango on the side. This is great with tuyo, daing, daing na bangus, or danggit!

I hope you enjoy this as much as I usually do. ;)

6 comments:

richard said...

Hello James,

How's your weekend, If you have time kindly check the Power Blog Award, Hope you like it...

Keep on smiling

Leslie Ann said...

Hi there! Just dropped by to tell you that I linked your site to mine and shared an award with you...Hope you drop by! Happy blogging!

richard said...

Hello James...

Just visiting again and I have tag for you....Kindly visit my website...

Cens World said...

hi tl, momi she itich..your blog makes me hungry..hmmm!!! delicious!! i am now your follower and i will visit your site every now and then..promise!! see you at work!

richard said...

Hmmmmmmmmmm I have another tag for you Dadi James, hope you like it....

richard said...

Busy again with work, I guess so, I have a tag for you...

See yeah